If you like to read the old fashioned way holding the real book between your hands, or like to read with your Kindle, or maybe you go back and forth, there is still nothing quite like a good book...

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Marriage is full of Suprises!

Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage


I so thoroughy enjoyed reading Chapter 2 and found myself with many reflective thoughts.  I thought I would list a few of them that stood out to me.
  • I think of myself as being independent, but the Hmong people are described as being spectacularly independent!
  • The Hmong women were among the laughingest, happiest she had met.  I love being around happy people!
  • How would you like to have 12 people living in a 1 room home?  No thank you!
  • She mentions privacy and loneliness as being twins and that privacy is the happier one.  If given a choice would you rather be lonely or have privacy?  I think for myself it would be privacy.
  • It would be comforting to be surrounded by many emotional buttresses.
  • With rare exceptions, one man is pretty much the same as another (Hmong women).  What do you think?!
  • You matter (Western culture) vs your role matters (Hmong people)
  • Plant an expectation, reap a disappointment - a good old adage
  • Wait-a-Minute-Moments
  • Are you a compulsive comparer?
  • Our job description as a spouse should not to be each other's everything.
This chapter is overflowing with so much to think about.  I was especially instrigued by the Wait-a-Minute-Moments.

I cannot say when this was a precise wait-a-minute-moment, but maybe a gradual process to get there.  I know longer have to have an immacuately clean house to feel good about company coming over.  I know there is a difference between a really dirty house and one that just has some day-to-day clutter.  I think people feel more at home in a home they feel at home in - one that is comfortable and relaxed.  Why put so much pressure on myself for perfection?

And to STOP being a compulsive comparer - that lead to nothing positive.

What are some of yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing your comments and insights!